This post contains affiliate links. When you shop these links I make a small commission from your purchase at no additional charge to you!
Welcome back to the blog! Today I am happy to share an UPDATED blog post about my top beginner friendly sewing machines for under $200. I’ve been sewing with a Janome for years. It was one of the first machines I sewed on, then down the line post grad, I bought one for myself! I initially purchased the Janome 3160QDC, and I highly recommend it for any hobby sewist! But- today we are touching on beginner friendly machines- so let’s get into it!
New Home Machine
The New Home machine line not only adds a pop of color to and sewing corner, but offers the basics for any beginner sewist at an amazing price tag. These will set you back just over $160, but will be a great way to get your sewing journey started. Here’s what’s included:
- 15 Built-In Stitches, 4-Step Buttonhole, Front-Loading Bobbin System, Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Adjustable Stitch Length & ZigZag Width, Reverse Lever, Darning Plate
- 3-Piece Feed Dog System, Removable Free Arm, Dual Retractable Spool Pins
- Tutorial Videos, Built-In Bobbin Diagram, Quick Start Guide Included
- Included: 4 Presser Feet, Beginner Accessories, easy-to-follow Instructional Manual, 25-Year Limited Warranty.Extra-High Presser Foot Lift
So essentially, she may be tiny, but she is mighty! This is a great budget friendly machine for anyone starting off in sewing looking to get comfortable with the how to’s before jumping into the deep end!
Click here to shop the New Home Line
Looking for something a little cheaper without sacrificing anything? Try the Mod-15! The MOD series machine’s start at $140, and offer two variations online. Here’s what’s included:
- Janome Easy-to-Use Basic Sewing Machine with 15 Stitches including 1 Four-Step Buttonhole
- Easy Threading with automatic tension
- Top Loading Bobbin with Clear Cover and 5-Piece Feed Dog System
- Adjustable Stitch Length and ZigZag Width and 4 Presser Feet
- Free Arm, Drop Feed, 25-Year Limited Warranty
Another great machine for any beginner sewist!
Click here to shop
Get notified for our next FREE Sewing live!
Janome 234 Sewing Machine
This is another machine in the New Home Series, but what makes it different? The darning plate! Darning is a technique one can use to fix jeans or other heavier material. The free motion plate allows this to be achieved, and is included with the machine. Here’s what else the machine has:
- 15 Built-in Stitches
- Front Loading Bobbin System
- Removable Free Arm with Concealed Accessory Storage
- Darning Plate included for free-motion sewing
This is a great machine for someone who is looking to explore more upcycling or mending projects, but will work great regardless!
Click here to shop
This machine has a great price point for those looking to do heavy duty fabrics like denim! So if you’re into upcycling thrift finds, this one is for you! Plus, with an extended range of stitch uses, you’ll be sewing anything and everything in no time! Here’s what is included:
- 12 actual stitches with 39 stitch functions
- Precise 4-step buttonholes in any size
- Heavy duty motor handles denim with ease
- Drop-in bobbin
- Free arm for easy sewing on sleeves, cuffs and hems
Click to shop
This machine may be at the top of our budget today, but it’s got great bones that will last you a long time! The feature that makes this a desired machine for sewists in the drop feed function. No need to replace the whole plate to free sew. Just drop the feed, and boom! You’re quilting or darning or even getting fancy with a Cushing foot! Here’s what else the machine offers.
- Easy turn dial pattern selection
- 12 built-in stitches including a four-step buttonhole
- Stitch width adjustment and length adjustment ensures ease of use
- Drop feed for free motion sewing and quilting
- 110-volt machine, for use in US only
Click here to shop
Ready to upgrade your sewing this year?